Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Just One Brownie

Brownies.

It all started because of brownies.  My sweet, precious, dimple-faced 4-year old had been given a very yummy dinner of chicken noodle soup and homemade rolls.  And then was offered a brownie.  She, of course, took the brownie willingly, and ate it very quietly at the table.  As the adults sat around the table, I noticed her start reaching for another.  I gently told her “No”.  About 30 seconds later, I looked over, and she was not only reaching for another brownie, but she was sitting on TOP of the table, trying her hardest to get closer.  This continued for about 5 minutes until we decided to remove the temptation from her sight.  And we thought all was well.  Until it was almost time to leave our friend’s house. 

Chloe Beth came back into the dining room, carrying a brownie!  She had somehow managed to get one, and, with a grin on her face, she sat down at the table to eat it, as if we were going to let her.  We promptly took the brownie from her, and the meltdown happened.  For…a long, long time.  There was pouting.  There were tears.  There was the repeated cry of “Brownie!  Brownie!  Brownie!”  We literally carried her out of the house and loaded her in the car, and drove half of the way home before the crying stopped. 

And as I sat there, in amazement, thinking back over the evening, wondering what would make her break down in such a way over one little brownie, it struck me.  I do that kind of thing all the time!  I may not cry and throw a tantrum in classic 4-year old style, but I certainly can pout. 

Here’s what I’m talking about:  God has given me so, so very much.  And yet, I take what he has given me, I look at it, and I say, “I want MORE!  This is just not enough.”  It seems like the more I get, the more I want.  And I can’t help but wonder if it’s because I’m just not thankful enough for what I actually have.

I am convinced that one of the biggest challenges for me, and for most American Christians is contentment.  We want to have Christ, but we also want to have more of everything else.  We’re not satisfied with what He has given us.  We’re just not happy with that one brownie.  We’ve got to have another one…no matter what the cost. 

God has blessed me so much.  My husband is my very best friend, and acts as if he is the most privileged man in the world to be married to me, even though I know that’s so far from the truth.  My children bring me joy, make me laugh, and teach me new things every single day.  I have a church family that I can truly say is family, and has been since we pulled into the parking lot a little over 2 years ago.  I have parents that I cherish, and that truly talk the talk and walk the walk.  I have a warm home.  I have food in my cupboards.  I have a dependable car to drive.  I have a fun job.  I have opportunities to sing with kids at church every week.  I get to support my husband as he serves.   I could go on. And on.  And on.

But yet, I complain.  I want more.  I want a bigger house.  I want a newer car.  I want different food.  I want more shoes.  I want more money at the end of the month.  I want…more.    

WHY?  Why in the world do I think that one more brownie will make me happy?  Why do I pass by all of the good stuff that I’ve already got:  the chicken noodle soup, the homemade rolls, AND the first brownie….all because I want more?

You see, what Chloe Beth didn’t realize was that one more brownie may have made her sick.  She may have been throwing up all night long.  Or it may have made her wide awake, which would make her miss out on something really good…called SLEEP.  Or, it may have tasted really good, but it just would have filled her stomach so that there wasn’t room for something else that could have been BETTER for her. 

Thanksgiving really is all about contentment.  How in the world can we look at ALL that God has given to us and done for us, and say, “Thanks, God, but it’s really not enough.  I think I would like you to do more.”  Paul learned that lesson, when he wrote in Philippians,:
I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.” 
 
I pray that I would learn that lesson, as Paul did. 

Contentment is about accepting the “meal” that God has laid out on the table for us.  It’s about trusting that He knows what is best for us, and that His food will make us strong, healthy, and more like His Son.  It’s about knowing that He is the Master Chef of our Thanksgiving dinner, and we are to be content with what He has served. 

I pray that this Thanksgiving we will all be surrounded by the things that make us happy.  I hope we get to eat our favorite foods, are surrounded by loved ones, and have an amazing time making memories.  And I hope that we all will be satisfied.  And thankful.

With just one brownie. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment